What are Bananatex®’s commitments?
Bananatex® has achieved Cradle to Cradle® Gold Certification – the most advanced standard globally for products that are safe, circular and responsibly made. This acknowledgment affirms Bananatex®’s commitment to protect the natural environment and support the communities the brand engages with. Bananatex® is certified Cradle to Cradle® Gold through the technical cycle – the fabric can be processed back into pulp and then into paper which can become yarn. According to Bananatex®, it also accomplishes industrial compostability, as well as biodegrading in marine environments (ocean water).
An open-source project, Bananatex® is a truly circular and nature-positive alternative to synthetic materials and alternatives to animal leather. It is fully biodegradable* at the end of its life.
Which of the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals does Bananatex® support?
- 3. Good Health and Wellbeing
- 8. Decent Work and Economic Growth
- 9. Industry Innovation and Infrastructure
- 12. Responsible Consumption and Production
- 13. Climate Action
- 15. Life on Land
* ISO 14851: ‘Determination of the ultimate aerobic biodegradability of plastic materials in an aqueous medium. Method by measuring the oxygen demand in a closed respirometer’, state of April 2019, modified for marine conditions using a natural seawater inoculum. After 112 days of incubation, biodegradability accounted for 96.1 ± 3.6%. Test conditions are results are summarised in test report no. 19420/2-5, issued 19 July 2022 by ISEGA Forschungs und Untersuchungsgesilschaft mbH Aschaffenburg, Germany.